As I’m writing this, I’m getting prepared to head to Salt Lake City, where I’ll catch the train to Cleveland. I’ve managed to pack the things that I’ll need for the journey. Here’s a picture of all of my stuff (apologies about the quality, cell phone camera):
- Chaco sandals (I nixed the shoes, as my bike toe clips aren’t going to work) with them
- 2 camping food tubes (for peanut butter and the like)
- Poop shovel
- Multitool, chain lube, rope, spare tire, straps, frame pump, matches, lighter, electrical tape, sponge, soap
- Tiny towel
- Water filter
- 2 pairs shorts, 2 shirts, 1 long sleeve shirt, 2 pairs underwear, poncho
- Jetboil stove
- 2 waterbottles
- Helmet, bike lock
- Various toiletries (highlights: butt cream, first aid, 2-in-1 sunscreen/bugspray)
- Sleeping bag
- Thermarest pad
- Food, which I think I’ll go over later
- Tons of stuff sacks
All in all, everything isn’t too heavy, so I’m hoping I didn’t forget anything. My bags are two Ortlieb panniers and a Timbuk2 messenger bag.
Overall, it packs pretty nicely onto the bike and isn’t too heavy.
I’m ready to go! My next post will be whenever I can make it, and it will be from my journals!